RETINTIS PIGMENTOSA

RP is an inherited degenerative eye disease that causes severe vision impairment and often blindness. The progress of RP is not consistent. Some people will exhibit symptoms from infancy, others may not notice until later in life. Generally, the later the onset, the more rapid the deterioration in sight. Those who do not have RP have 90degree peripheral vision while some people who have RP have less than 90degree.
RP is caused by abnormalities of the photo receptors rods and cones or the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) of the retina leading to progressive sight loss.
Affected individuals may experience defective light to dark; dark to light adaptation or nyctalopia (night blindness) as a result of the degeneration of the peripheral visual field (know as tunnel vision) sometimes, central vision is lost first causing the person to look side long at objects. The effect of RP is best illustrated by comparision to a television or computer screen. The pixels of light that form the image on the screen equate to the millions of light receptor on the retina of the eye. The fewer the pixel on the screen, the less distinct with images be.
Fewer than 10% of the light receptors in the eye receive the colored, high intensity light seen in bright day or daylight conditions. These receptors are located in the center of the circular retina. The remaining 90% of light receive gray scale low intensity light used for low light and night vision are located around the Periphery of the retina. RP destroys light receptor from the outside inward, from the centre outward or in sporadic patches with a corresponding reduction in the efficiency of the detect light. This degeneration is progress and has no cure.
Signs and Symptoms:-
– Night blindness or nyctalopia
– Tunnel vision (no peripheral vision)
– Peripheral vision (no central vision)
– Lathe work vision
– Aversion to glare
– Slow adjustment from dark to light environs
– Blurring of vision
– Poor colour separation and extreme tiredness.

Hoping there will be a cure for Retinitis Pigmentosa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *